The oldest known form of medicine native to the Indian subcontinent, Ayurvedic medicine uses detoxification, diet, Ayurvedic herbs for acne and exercise to improve health, mental and emotional well-being as well as acne.
In Ayurveda, each person has a distinct pattern of energy – a specific combination of physical, mental and emotional characteristics. It is also believed that there are three basic energy types, called doshas, present in every person, and these determine the basic body type:
- vata – energy that regulates body functions associated with blood circulation;
- pitta – energy that governs the body’s metabolic systems, including digestion and body temperature;
- kapha – energy that controls growth in the body. It supplies water to all parts of the body, moisturizes the skin and maintains the immune system.
Many factors, including stress, lack of sleep, diet, lifestyle, the environment and hormones, are thought to disturb the dosha balance, and these disturbances are expressed as disease in the body, acne being a skin disease. Ayurvedic remedies for acne usually include Ayurvedic diet for acne and herbs, yoga and medication to rebalance the doshas.
Besides applying Ayurvedic herbs for acne to the affected areas, a good Ayurvedic cure for acne is watching your diet. Some recommended dietary measures include
- Eating only when earlier food is digested
- Eliminating saturated fats from your diet
- Avoiding oily, spicy and pungent food
- Eating plenty of fresh, leafy vegetables which have been properly washed to prevent constipation
- Drinking plenty of water with added fresh lemon juice
- Drinking fresh fruit juices such as grape juice
- Eating only compatible food in a single meal
- Eating slowly and chewing your food well
- Eliminating fast food and processed food from your diet